Jespon, K. (2005). Conservations--and negotiated interaction--in text and voice chat rooms. http://llt.msu.edu/vol9num3/jepson/
According to this article, Kevin Jepson demonstrates that voice chat do repair moves than text chat. The difference between voice and text chat are the former improve pronunciation rapidly and the latter enhance grammar quickly.
In the text chat, it is possible for several participants to send message simultaneously and unrelated and previously abandoned topics, thus creating a discourse sequence that is different from face-to-face where participants speak in turn on a single topic thread (Doughty & Long 2003, Negretti, 1999). I totally agreed with this point. Chatting with many people simultaneously will change the topic quickly and the leader is uneasy to manage it and off the topic.Text chat seems to enable participants from varying levels of expertise to assist one another in co-constructing social activity (Ortega 1997, St. John & Cash 1995). When I chatted with Ns who come from different countries in SL, we assisted and exchange knowledge each other. When I chat with them, they don’t care about my error such as writing style, grammar and so on. I did many self correction and clarification requests because it had to type it quickly, the other was I didn’t really know that their usage. I believe that no people wants to repair the others when you are chatting because it needed a time to type, sometimes you have to think that how to talk to them. No people will criticize your writing directly. So I agree with this article.
Conservation in voice chat rooms would seem to benefit learners in the repair move aspects of language development, especially in pronunciation repair and in the incorporation of repair move. When I used voice chat with my friends or others, they repaired my pronunciation a lot because my pronunciation was poor. If your pronunciation is unclear, there is no way to continue communicating with each other. Using voice chat occur clarification request more because of technological problems. Voice chat seems to our talking in daily life which is easier to repair others. When you communicate with others, they will point out your weakness at once apart from text chat. So i think voice chat is easier to occur repair moves.
2008年12月30日 星期二
訂閱:
張貼留言 (Atom)

沒有留言:
張貼留言